Sunday 7 September 2014

Don't Give Up

Hi!

As a young person, you may have noticed that there is a running theme in our society: the restriction of girls' dreams and ideas.  We have been made to feel that if we have an opinion or a personal goal that we need the approval of an authority figure before we can pursue it. (I don't know about you but in my experience authority figures always seem to be an angry old white dude whose opinions originate from before even he was born.) 

Since I was 6 years old I have always wanted to be an actor, especially in theatres. Nobody pressured me into it, it's just always been my calling. End of story. Well, end of story for me anyway.  To others, even family friends who I haven't seen for over a year, they want to know every last detail. "Are you sure it shouldn't just be a hobby?" "You need a back-up plan because you probably won't make it." And just generally some very doubting questions. And not to mention the ABSOLUTE QUALITY COMEDY MATERIAL that can be retrieved from drama students! Yes, I am looking at you Mr Jimmy Carr.  If I may quote "I always say one thing to drama students, 'can I have a coffee please?'" How hilarious! Wow! A young person going out into the world and achieving their dreams, even if that entails having a crappy side job that they need to live and support themselves! MY SIDES HURT!

This applies in so many situations, especially for young girls.  If you want to achieve something in your life, YOU DO NOT NEED THE APPROVAL OF SOMEBODY ELSE! Go for it! You want to be the first woman President of the United States? Do it. You want to travel the world and explore rather than conform to the societal norm? Do it. Do you want to make art? Do it. You don't need permission to control your own life. Be the boss.

You can do it. Don't give up.

Tabitha x

(P.S. Sorry for the excessive use of capital letters, I got excited.)

No comments:

Post a Comment